Insurgent by Veronica Roth [Review]

The problem with having an excellent series opener is keeping the momentum. You need to match or exceed the height of your first book, which can be tricky. Fortunately Insurgent has no problem hitting the bar that Divergent set, which was a great relief to me.

Insurgent picks up immediately where Divergent left off so there is no gap between the books to catch up on (although refreshing yourself on the previous book might be needed). Tris stopped the attack simulation and is fleeing with Tobias, Peter and Marcus to Amity headquarters outside of the city. Things are looking grim, with the Dauntless scattered and the Abnegation all but wiped out.

I was a little worried at the start that Insurgent would fall flat. Mostly this came in the form of Tris/Tobias relationship, which suddenly came to the forefront of the plot. Thankfully this was short-lived, otherwise there would have been another co-dependent couple in the YA world. As it stands, the moments where Tris breaks down and flees to Tobias are limited. However, their relationship then goes for a bumpy ride.


One of the strengths of Divergent is the way it put plot first and relationship second. Insurgent nearly saw the switch, but what actually occurs is a test of the strength of their relationship. Lies are told, secrets withheld and Tris realises she doesn't know Tobias at all. It was a thrill to see the female half of a couple keep her brains, personality and independence, although some of the repetitious motions of their relationship problems did drag. Overall Tris/Tobias get a big tick for being unconventional in a YA sense, but remaining true to how actual humans interact with one another.


On to the plot. Hand on heart I'll admit I got annoyed at the constant "go to faction, talk to people, move on to next faction" pattern that dominated the first third (or less) of the book. The constantly running around to get the measure of people in other factions annoyed me, but only marginally as I was also drinking in the sights. Amity seems like the luckiest faction to me, being outside the city and all.


I also enjoyed how all the characters are self-serving at least once during Insurgent. There is no banding together of deadly enemies for the good of the society, but individuals who stick together as long as it suits their means. There are tensions and arguments, even between friends where secrets and betrayals stretch out between them. Throughout it all Tris has to step carefully to find the truth and do what's best for the city. To be wary of everyone seems like the smartest approach.


One peeve that arose in Insurgent is the amount of bullet holes people amassed. Literally everyone gets shot at least once and if you haven't, well then you're missing out on a badge of honour. I would have liked a little more creativity with the fight scenes, but this never became a major issue. The other repetitive point that pops up is Tris' nervous habits, but somehow these flesh out her character and endear her to me.


In general Tris is conflicted throughout Insurgent about the events of the previous book. Grief, guilt and panic swell within her, rising up at inconvenient times to leave her more reluctant than ever to battle on. I felt compelled by her struggle and although the character growth is small, it is significant. She acts as any human in her situation would. She isn't invulnerable or inhuman. She needs to stop to catch her breath the same as anyone and this is another big tick.


Insurgent offers explanations about Divergent personalities, twisting and turning left, right and centre so that you are never a hundred percent sure who will prevail. There is a massive revelation at the end to do with the world/society that they live in and backs up my "the lack of detail in Divergent is intentional" mantra in my Divergent review. It wouldn't be very Amity or Abnegation of me to say "I told you so" but it would be Candor, so to those who criticised the little world history in Divergent. I. Told. You. So.


Self-indulgence over I will end on this. I read Insurgent in one day, a rare feat for me, so something must be right. It is a page-turner and I am very much invested in the series. Sure, there were little nagging details I picked up on, but these were small in regards to the bigger picture. I love everything about this series: the concept, the characters, the relationships and I will gush about it to anyone who listens. I am very much addicted to the Divergent series.


5/5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment